puzzle #74: handwritten freestyle #2


puzzle 74: handwritten freestyle #2
by ada nicolle
test-solved by paolo pasco, edited loosely


Today's puzzle is a bit different from my usual offerings on here or my Patreon. 
This puzzle was constructed as a writing exercise rather than a product.

When I was a kid (those many years ago), I would often try idly constructing on the corners of homework assignments and journal pages. I would often place two words on top of each other and see how much I could freehand a puzzle from there. Eventually, I graduated from loose sheets to grid books, and then the habit stopped. (The constraints of constructing for outlets necessitate software assistance, so I seldom require a physical grid book.)

Recently I found myself with a grid book attempting to construct something that wouldn't be possible using a computer. I wanted to see where a grid could end up if I didn't impose symmetry/grid size/a word list. What's in the word list of my mind? How do words interact with each other? Could it give me ideas as to how to improve my other puzzles?

This grid is the result of that exercise. It's wild and weird and probably unlike my other work, but I love it.

Initially, I didn't intend to publish this, and I had handwritten another grid before this (hence this being #2) that I probably won't post here. (If I construct them to be solved, that kinda goes against the point of them.) However, this post was encouraged by both constructor/friend Brooke Husic, who really hyped me up about this puzzle, and comedian/friend James O'Hara, who heard about the New York Times strike and told me I should publish a puzzle as a substitute for today's Times crossword. I'm happy to share this with y'all :)

Brief disclaimer: I did use construction software around the edges of the puzzle cause the grid had to end somewhere and I'm not a wizard. Though for the most part, this was handwritten. Also, all the clues are in lowercase because I felt inspired by people with that aesthetic (s/o to kelsey and zinna), and figured it'd lend itself nicely to the experimental format of the puzzle.

Don't cross the picket line. You don't gotta solve my puz, but you sure as heck shouldn't solve the NYT today.

Enjoy the puz!
- Ada

Comments