puzzle #53: themeless thirty

puzzle 53: themeless thirty - at ease!
by ada nicolle // test-solved by brooke husic and paolo pasco

Hey y'all! New themeless today, and also new 7xwords puzzle. Pretty happy with both of them!

Just a thought I've been having recently:
    I've realized something about my construction style over the past year, and that is I'm a really fill-driven constructor (as opposed to like, grid shape-driven or theme-driven, traits that I adore in constructors as well). Just when it comes to solving, discovering fill that is common to me but I've never seen in crosswords is akin to hearing a joke and thinking "WHOA it's not just me???". 
    This is why I love it when constructors unapologetically put their personality, culture, and the things they love, know, live with, grew up with, and care about into their puzzles. Some critics may complain saying "people may have a hard time with this crossing blah blah blah" but who cares, I guarantee you people will solve your puzzle and resonate with you and it'll make their world just a little bit brighter. That response is my goal at the end of the day, in both crosswords and stand-up. Can't say my puzzles or myself are consistent in these attempts, but I'm a work-in-progress. I hope I articulated that alright.

That being said, this puzzle isn't as great as that build-up was but I hope you'll like it regardless. This puzzle started with the two 14s in the middle, and I'm very happy with the ensuing long/mid-length fill.

Enjoy the puz!
- Ada


Comments

  1. I think as an artist, you have to be proud of your work. Some people out there are not going to like what you do -- no matter what! -- but if you are proud of your product such criticisms are easier to swallow, and the plaudits you get feel better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment